What is DevNet Associate Certification?
The DevNet Associate Certifications validate your ability in many domains and areas. It validates your ability to create fundamental network applications utilizing Cisco platforms as a start and implement automation workflows spanning network, security, collaboration, and compute infrastructure. This certification will be a career ladder in network automation.
What skills do DevNet Associate Certifications Ensure?
How to become a Certified DevNet Associate?
200-901 Exam Updated Curriculum -Topics & Domains
Software Design & Development- 15%
- Comparing data formats (XML, JSON, and YAML)
- Describe how to convert popular data formats (such as XML, JSON, and YAML) into Python data structures.
- Describe the principles of test-driven development.
- Compare software development methodologies (agile, lean, and waterfall)
- Describe the advantages of structuring code into classes, modules, and methods/functions.
- Describe the benefits of popular design patterns (MVC and Observer)
- Describe the benefits of version control.
- Use Git to implement conventional version control procedures.
Understanding & Using of APIs- 20%
- Using the API documentation, create a REST API request to accomplish a task.
- Describe the typical webhook usage patterns.
- Recognize the constraints when using APIs
- Describe the most frequent HTTP response codes for REST APIs.
- Investigate a problem using the API documentation, request, and HTTP response code.
- Recognize the components of an HTTP response (response code, headers, body)
- Utilize the standard, custom token, and API keys for API authentication.
- Examine typical API styles (REST, RPC, synchronous, and asynchronous)
- Create a Python script that uses the requests module to call a REST API.
Cisco Platform & Development- 15%
- Create a Python script using the Cisco SDK provided in the SDK documentation.
- Describe the capabilities of the platforms and APIs used by Cisco for network administration (Meraki, Cisco DNA Center, ACI, Cisco SD-WAN, and NSO)
- Describe the capabilities of the platforms and APIs for computing management from Cisco (UCS Manager, UCS Director, and Intersight)
- Describe the features of the collaboration platforms and APIs from Cisco (Webex Teams, Webex devices, Cisco Unified Communication Manager including AXL and UDS interfaces, and Finesse)
- Describe the capabilities of the platforms and APIs for security from Cisco (Firepower, Umbrella, AMP, ISE, and ThreatGrid)
- IOS XE and NX-OS device-level APIs and dynamic interfaces should be described.
- Find the relevant DevNet resource for a particular scenario (Sandbox, Code Exchange, support, forums, Learning Labs, and API documentation)
- Apply the ideas of model-driven programmability (YANG, RESTCONF, and NETCONF) in a Cisco context.
- Create code to carry out a certain operation by a set of specifications and API reference documents.
Application Deployment & Security- 15%
- Describe the advantages of edge computing
- Describe the characteristics of various application deployment models (private cloud, public cloud, hybrid cloud, and edge)
- Describe the characteristics of application deployment types.
- Describe the elements of an application deployment CI/CD pipeline.
- Construct a Python unit test.
- Interpret the contents of a Dockerfile
- Use Docker images in a local developer environment
- Identify application security concerns with data management, secret protection, and encryption (storage and transport).
- Describe the roles that the firewall, DNS, load balancers, and reverse proxy have in the deployment of applications.
- List the main OWASP threats (such as XSS, SQL injections, and CSRF)
- Make use of Bash commands (file management, directory navigation, and environmental variables)
- Determine the principles of DevOps methods.
Infrastructure & Automation- 20%
- Describe the benefits of model-driven programmability for infrastructure automation.
- Compare device-level management to controller-level management.
- Explain the functions of and uses for network simulation and test technologies (such as VIRL and pyATS)
- Give an overview of the components and advantages of the CI/CD pipeline for infrastructure automation.
- Describe infrastructure principles as code.
- Describe the functions of tools for automation like Ansible, Puppet, Chef, and Cisco NSO.
- Determine the process that a Python script using Cisco APIs such as ACI, Meraki, Cisco DNA Center, or RESTCONF is automating.
- Determine the processes that an Ansible playbook is automating (management packages, user management for services, basic service configuration, and start/stop).
- Determine which workflow is being automated by a bash script (such as file management, app install, user management, and directory navigation)
- Interpret the RESTCONF or NETCONF query results
- Analyze basic YANG models
- Understanding a unified diff
- Describe the principles and advantages of the code review procedure.
- Interpret sequence diagram that contains API calls
Networking Fundamentals- 15%
- Explain the purpose and use of MAC addresses and VLANs.
- Describe the function and usage of gateways, subnet masks, routes, and IP addresses.
- Describe how common networking components work (such as switches, routers, firewalls, and load balancers)
- Analyze a simple network topology diagram that includes switches, routers, firewalls, load balancers, and port values.
- Describe how a network device’s administration, data, and control planes function.
- Describe the functionality of the following IP Services: DHCP, DNS, NAT, SNMP, and NTP.
- Identify common protocol port values (such as SSH, Telnet, HTTP, HTTPS, and NETCONF)
- Determine the root of any application connectivity problems (NAT problem, Transport Port blocked, proxy, and VPN)
- Describe how network restrictions affect applications.
- Exam Format: Not defined but usually consist of multiple-choice, multiple-response, and drag & drop questions.
- Exam Duration: The candidates must have to complete the exam in 120 minutes.
- Exam Cost: $300
- Prerequisites: No such prerequisites but it is recommended to have one or more years of software development including python programming
- Validity Period: 3 years
- Passing Criteria: Not defined
- Recertification: Pass a qualifying exam or earn 48 credits for education credits
You can get the following job roles after this Certification:
- Network automation engineer
- Software developer
- System integration programmer
Why should you go for Cisco DevNet Associate Certification?
A Success Tool for Developers
Is this Certification a really successful tool for people working as software developers or networking domains? The answer is obvious- this certification is a proven success tool for developers and networking professionals. The certification is worthwhile for the software developer who works with network automation. The DevNet Associate is possibly the best opportunity to begin your integration and automation career for developers that need on automate Cisco technologies. If you’re a network automation engineer or integration programmer, earning this certification can open a wide range of opportunities and validate your security, infrastructure, and operation skills.
Endorse and Learn Innovative Skills
The certification isn’t just for beginners but also for experienced professionals working in the networking and software domains. The Cisco DevNet Associate certification validates such modernized and advanced skills that even years of work experience can’t teach you. The Cisco DevNet Associate Certification will provide you with a solid foundation in everything from good software development and design concepts to understanding network automation and integration. It will also validate and enhance vital skills in understanding and using APIs and implementing Cisco technology.
Professional & Career Advancement
The skills you will learn through this certification will make you qualified and upright in the networking domain. As the skills are not confined to networking automation and cover various domains, this will enhance and boost your career trajectory. Earning Cisco 200-901 certification will lead you to career progression and with some years of experience, you can go for DevOps Engineer and Network Engineer job roles.
Impressive Salary Surge
Candidates with Cisco DevNet Associate Certification have seen an upsurge increase in salary. The average base compensation for a CCNA-certified professional is $82,000 per year, according to PayScale. The salary may increase up to $131,000 per year depending upon the experience. The Cisco Certified DevNet Expert certification is similar to the CCIE (Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert) credential. A CCIE earns an average base pay of $131,000 per year, according to Payscale.
7 Pro Tips for Preparing DEVASC 200-901 Exam
Here are the 9 pro tips or resources for studying DEVASC exam:
DEVASC Course Overview
DevNet Certifications Community Forum
DevNet Associate Prep
DevNet Exam Review
DevNet Study Material
DevNet Preparation Bundle
Edurely Exam Material
In a nutshell, having Cisco DevNet Associate Certification is worth it and transcends one’s career growth and opportunities. You just have to pass the 200-901 DEVASC exam to earn this certification and seriously it is not that much to do if you’re aware of its benefits and perks. So, don’t wait anymore and earn this certification asap!
Frequently Asked Questions- FAQ's
The Cisco DevNet Associate Certifications are intended for developers and professionals working in network domains. The certifications validate skills such as security, networking, operations, understanding of API, and developing and maintaining applications on Cisco platforms.
Both are entry-level credentials that are equally valuable. Opting for one of these certifications depends on your job goals and prior expertise. DevNet certification focuses on emerging networking principles such as automation and software, whereas CCNA certification focuses on fundamental network engineering expertise. As a career path, none of these qualifications can go wrong.
There are no such requirements. You only have to pass the 200-901 DEVASC exam to become certified as Cisco DevNet Associate. Moreover, it is recommended to have one or two years of python programming experience.
The DevNet Associate has abilities and experience in designing basic applications that enhance Cisco equipment or establishing integrations that automate Cisco technology.
The cost of the DevNet Associate exam is $300 or EUR 264. The cost may vary in different countries and regions.
Students who want to work as Software Developers or Network Engineers can enroll in the Cisco DevNet Associate Training Course. This course is appropriate for Software Developers, Application Developers, and Networking Engineers with one or two years of experience who want to expand their expertise and enhance their skills and knowledge.
The DevNet Associate exam is quite difficult. However, with the appropriate exam preparation materials, you can pass the exam. Completely and mindfully read and study each exam domain. DevNet Associate exam also ensures that you know python programming.
An associate-level CCNA is easier to earn than a professional-level CCNP. CCNA certification requires only one exam, however, CCNP certification requires two exams. Furthermore, advanced topics are covered in greater depth in CCNP exams.
The average salary of the DevNet Associate is approximately $83,000 per year. But DevNet professionals may earn up to $131,000, according to PayScale.